2 Oct 2016

The Unintended Graphics #2

Hello,
Today I'm gonna show how I'm doing the characters for Unintended. It's a little unconventional method for a game like this.
My first version of the main character was hand drawn, and it looked like this.


I liked the look, but the animating turned out to be quite the ordeal. In the first village where the player starts the game has something like 8 characters. Animating all of them started to feel a bit too much for me to keep doing all by myself.  So I started to look on other options.

I ended up modelling a 3D version of the character and using the 3DS Max to animate the characters. I've done quite a bit of animating of characters for the Lucius games, so this was a much more efficient way for me to get it done.



After I got this modeled and animated version of the character, I then proceeded to render it to sprites and use only a certain frames for the animation. I also worked on the materials a bit to get them look more fitting for the game. This is how the character now looks in the game.



I'm pretty happy with it. It's still noticeable that it's not a hand drawn character, but I can live with it and hopefully so can the players. This ends up saving a ton of time for me and I can use that time to create more meaningful content for the game.



-Johannes

3 comments:

  1. What type of game will this be? Puzzle/Adventure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Puzzle adventure is exactly right. I want it to be something that my girlfriend can also play, so a lot less emphasis on any action. Also my initial goal was to make it a local cooperative game, but we will have to see how that works.

      Delete
  2. No wonder it feels 2D and 3D at the same time :D Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete